Monday, January 11, 2010

Back to business...round 2

Just got back from a 4 day long trip to Denver to visit my sister.  Ran out of jerky, nuts and dried fruit within the first day - not off to a great start.  Overall, however, I'm quite impressed with the diet I maintained over the course of the trip.  Other than one large cheat meal (half pound bison burger w/ gorgonzola, beer-battered mushrooms, fries, and over-the-top amounts of ketchup), I remained relatively paleo w/ a few unavoidable exceptions (dressing on salad split w/ family, regular mayo instead of organic, etc).  Even in Breckenridge, where I spent two days skiing, I was able to keep paleo on the mountain with pulled pork (no sauce), beef w/ veggies, fruit and nuts.  However, I should mention that I was extremely hungry after my flight home.  Shortly after arriving at my parents house in Wilmette, I quickly remembered that nothing, and I mean nothing, is open nearby at 10:30pm on Monday.  Desperate for sustenance (and too lazy to drive long distances), I opened the freezer.  Turkey meatballs.  Ingredients at bottom of package - turkey, breadcrumbs, sugar, yadda yadda yadda....and the kicker - CONTAINS WHEAT AND GLUTEN.  I ate 7 of them.  

For those of you who check my facebook profile, you've probably seen the picture I posted of the newly renovated 'core performance' gym at the Sheraton.  I walk in and to my left the entire wall is lined with mirrors - completely with sleeveless guidos staring at their biceps as they curled up #30 dumbbells.  I chuckle to myself and move on.  Dumbbells, elliptical, treadmills, and shiny, complicated weight training machines.  NOT ONE SINGLE BARBELL.   I repeat.  Not one barbell...save for the one attached to the machine (I really don't know how to describe it - its a barbell that slides up and down two poles - if you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about).  I'm about to give up, but then I see some foam rollers and a jump rope.  A breath of fresh air.  Didn't have a stopwatch with me for any workouts.  The three workouts completed at hotel gym...

On Friday...
45 OH walking lunges
21 pull ups
30 OH walking lunges
15 pull ups
18 OH walking lunges
9 pull ups
weight used #45 plate

On Sunday...

3 rounds of:
30 double unders
#135 bench press (#155 was RXd, but did not have a spotter and was new to the 'sliding barbell machine' so I scaled back)

On Monday...
5 rounds of:
20 double unders
10 burpees

Workouts weren't terrible considering I was in a crowded hotel gym with a sh*tty jump rope.  Couldn't get much weight training in w/out a freestanding barbell, so I worked on HSPU and regular handstands before each WOD.

Saturday and Sunday morning I went skiing at Breckenridge w/ my sister and one of my best friends.  This was my second time skiing as a crossfitter - it really has paid off.  While it may not have been the best idea to do 93 weighted lunges the day before skiing, my legs held up particularly well.  But where I really noticed the difference was in my core.  I was able to maintain the ski position for much longer periods of time than in the past, and really felt my core engaging on each turn.

Anyways, I'm back in Chicago and ready to get back to business at the gym.  At this time, I'm not going to participate in Crossfit Chicago's Strict Paleo Challenge.  The Northeast Sectionals are almost a month after CFC's in the Midwest region - I will most likely go strict paleo 30 days out from my qualifiers.  However, I'll be eating as paleo as I can with minimal cheats up until that time.

All aboard!  

2 comments:

  1. Nice work on your vacation. Mine would have involved less working out... especially if the gym was shitty. Way to tough it out amongst the scary guidos in Colorado (are there really guidos in CO?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mountain guidos - they're like Jersey Shore guidos, except they eat granola and want to save the environment. And use earth friendly hair product.

    ReplyDelete